Ryan Gebhardt is a 26-year-old multi-instrumentalist artist based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Originally from Long Island, New York, Ryan attended university as an economics major at Brandeis University in Boston. Beginning with piano lessons at age six, Ryan has been playing and composing music nearly his entire life. He started communally playing in high school with whoever was down to play and eventually started his first band, The Humble Cheaters. They are still active today, as it is “a very relaxed project with a bunch of old friends from Long Island.” The band has humbly amassed over 20,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, releasing the most recent of their four LPs, Alert The Crew, in August of 2021.
Following the first two albums by The Humble Cheaters, Ryan made a move to Minneapolis, where he planned to begin his first solo endeavor as Stanley. Ryan released his debut, self-titled EP through Forged Artifacts in 2017. Shortly after this, Ryan made a quick move back to Boston in 2018, where he linked up with his friends Ben Astrachan (Astrachan) and Austin Koenigstein (Smushie) to play bass in Berta Bigtoe. During this time, he also worked on singles for Stanley, such as standouts With Any Luck and Blue Capsule. Stanley’s sophomore release, Afternoon Stanley, came in early 2020 on Nashville-based label, Acrophase Records.
With the pandemic in full-swing come mid-2020, Ryan became compelled to begin a new solo venture, which was to be inked under his own name, Ryan Gebhardt. He decided to use the opportunity to pursue a more folk-oriented project. Shortly after this, Monday Love, the debut EP was released. The title track was featured as the song of the day on Minnesota Public Radio’s The Current in January of 2021. Ryan then hunkered down to hone in on his debut LP, I’d Like To Meet Your Ghosts, which was independently released yesterday– January 20th, 2022.
The record was mixed by Adam Thein and features Eric Slick of Dr. Dog on the drums of all 9 tracks, along with two features from Chicago-based V.V. Lightbody. Ryan told me that 90 percent of this record was inspired by the purchase of his Cordoba nylon guitar, with the remaining 10 percent being inspired by folk-legends like Townes Van Zandt and Leonard Cohen. I can attempt to describe the sound of the record as Jack Johnson with a sort of bedroom pop filter, but you’ll have to listen to really know. I’m a huge fan of the album and I strongly encourage anyone reading this to check it out here.
Excitingly, Happen Twice will be doing a very small-run cassette release of the record which can be found soon in our cassette shop!
Amongst many other projects and bands, Ryan Gebhardt is a true, hard-working, and talented creative at heart with a clear and strong desire to improve and enjoy his craft day-in and day-out. To learn more about Ryan Gebhardt, check out our Q&A below and find his socials/music here!